Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Zaha Hadid

Dubai Opera House (not built) 

So my first thought: what the hell is it? Zaha Hadid's work left many people thinking this, but that's the reason her work is so great. Hadid pushed boundaries on what was even thought of, she constantly dismantled the box of ordinary thought to create beautiful and fanciful designs. Zaha Hadid died on March 31, 2016, but not without leaving behind a legacy that will carry on for generations.
When looking at Hadid’s work I filled with both awe and confusion. While I think the designs are beautiful, I think she goes above and beyond past ridiculousness. The curves and flows grab my eye and pull me in, but when I’m able to take a step back and simply ask, why? Some of the design principles just don’t make much sense. Reading into Hadid’s life, I can see that Hadid did whatever she wanted. She constantly ignored cost limitations, and even construction limitations. This is something that divides me on her and her work. I’m extremely logical, and this makes me hate her designs, but they’re just stunning. I wanted to be able to go admire at all of the buildings that she has designed, whether they be just drawings or actual be built.

While many are divided on her work, it’s hard to deny that she has left a legacy. She challenges future architects to push the boundaries of what is possible and done before. Not only has that, but she challenged engineered to think outside of the box. Engineers need to adapt to what the architect sees, and this is something that will be continued forward for many years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment